The Technical software event organized last week in Grenoble Engineering Center has been a great success. Kudos to Dominique, a great G.O.
The attendance exceeded our expectations (and almost our room capacity). There was more than 190 persons over the 4 days, an average of 100 attendees per day (and nearly 120 on the first dat), coming from 20 different countries.
On the Thursday and Friday, all the Campus Ambassadors from France attended the presentations and some additional meetings with their mentors and Dan Berg, CTO GSS & VP EMEA Systems Engineering.
Below some of our guest speakers : Dan Berg, Alban Richard -Director of the Directory Services Engineering and Grenoble Site Leader-, Roman Strobl -aka Mr. NetBeans-, Gilles Gravier –OpenSolaris and open source enthousiast-, Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine –GlassFish evangelist and emeritus skier-.
On Friday, I presented an introduction to the OpenDS project (PDF) in the general session and in the afternoon a 2 hours session demoing the basic features and principles of OpenDS. There is some feedback to the developer team with regards to dsconfig and usability, an area where we haven’t really focused so far.
There has been other reports on the event, by Dominique , , . , Alexis.
Technorati Tags: directory-server, France, GEC, glassfish, java, opends, opensource, Sun
Jerome Cambon, one of the developers who recently joined the OpenDS project, has just published a tutorial for “Building and Running OpenDS with NetBeans“.
I’ve been using NetBeans on my MacBook Pro since OpenDS day one, and I’ve started this same tutorial… But got distracted by other projects.
I’m glad that Jerome took the time to write and publish this. It’s one less item on my ToDo list. And it will benefit to the developers that want to start doing development with OpenDS and with award winner NetBeans 6.0.
sun, opends, netbeans, tutorial, opensource
We have just uploaded OpenDS 1.0.0-build010, built from revision 3655 of our source tree, to our promoted builds folder. The direct link to ownload the core server is:
The direct link to download the DSML gateway is:
We have also updated the archive that may be used to install OpenDS via
Java Web Start. You may launch that using the URL
http://www2.opends.org/install/QuickSetup.jnlp, or visit
https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/OverviewOfTheQuickSetupTool for more
Detailed information about this build is available at
Major changes incorporated since OpenDS 1.0.0-build009 include:
- Revision 3598 (Issues #2366 and #2186) — Update indexes to order the keys before inserting them into the database. This ensures that no deadlocks occur between multiple add and modify operations. Also, disable lock timeouts for add and modify operations since deadlocks can not occur. This prevents transaction aborts and operation retry expiration due to lock timeouts of add and modify operations when the server is under high write load.
- Revision 3607 (Issue # 1862) — Provide verbosity options for the "upgrade" "setup" and "uninstall" commands.
- Revision 3608 — Increase the default value of the JVM heap size to 256Mb for building the server.
- Revision 3610 — Fix the permissions for Java Application Stubs used in MacOS X application bundles so that they are usable from within the WebStart installation.
- Revision 3611 — Set a fair ordering policy for the cacheLock and provide a better concurrency overall.
- Revision 3612 (Issue #2785) — Upgrade the Berkeley DB Java Edition version from 3.2.44 to 3.2.68.
- Revision 3614 (Issue #2345) — Provide the ability to monitor replication across a topology. Before this change, monitoring information for replication was restricted to the replication server itself, and the LDAP servers currently connected to it. With this change, each replication server exposes the delay for all replication servers in the topology.
- Revision 3615 — Provide a default "java.properties" file that includes information about setting the different java properties.
- Revision 3616 (Issue #2787) — Fix an issue in which replication sessions sometimes failed when a server disconnected and re-connected to the replication server in quick succession.
- Revision 3617 (Issue #2794) — Fix an issue in which delete operations were sometimes not replicated if they immediately followed a modify DN operation.
- Revision 3619 (Issue #2107) — Log publishers now prevent changing the log file permissions to an invalid value. The listeners will now reject changes that would prevent OpenDS from writing to the log files.
- Revision 3621 — Various improvements to the java properties tools.
- Revision 3622 (Issue #2791) — The "dsreplication enable" command always assumed that the administrator did not exist. This fix checks whether the specified administrator exists before creating it. Also fix an issue that caused "dsreplication enable" to fail if a user tried to enable a suffix between two servers that were already replicated.
- Revision 3625 (Issue #2506) — Fix a problem that caused "upgrade -r" not to work.
- Revision 3626 (Issue #2797) — The "cn" for the replication repair logger was incorrect.
- Revision 3629 (Issue #2508) — Fix a problem that caused "upgrade -a" not to work.
- Revision 3630 (Issue #2650) — The "import-ldif" command now provides information about JRE version and settings.
- Revision 3631 (Issue #2778) — Fix a null pointer exception that sometimes occurred when stopping replicated servers.
- Revision 3637 (Issue #2482) — Improve client-side referential integrity performance.
- Revision 3638 (Issue #2799) — Fix a null pointer exception that occurred when reverting an upgrade in interactive mode.
- Revision 3639 (Issue #2780) — Fix a problem in which "start-ds" did not work after reverting an upgrade from build 9 to build 8.
- Revision 3644 (Issue #2647) — Fix an issue in which the upgrade tool did not take into account the "99-user.ldif" file.
- Revision 3651 (Issue #2784) — Fix an issue in which the upgrade tool did not back up the "upgrade.bat" file, causing problems when reverting to a previous version, then attempting the upgrade again.
- Revision 3654 (Issues #2786 and #2774) — Fixes to the DSML Gateway war file.
Technorati Tags: directory-server, java, ldap, opends, opensource, Sun