The Open Identity Gateway is a simple standard-based solution to secure access to web applications and APIs. It supports SAMLv2, OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect and can capture and replay credentials, enabling SSO and Federation.
With a four months release cycle since the previous release, OpenIG 3.1 doesn’t contain many major new features, but it does bring several new enhancements to the product, including :
- The support for encrypted JSON Web Token (JWT) cookies to store session information on the user-agent. The administrator can decide to keep the default container managed sessions, or use JWT cookies globally or for a specific route.
- A simplification of OpenIG configuration, with the ability to inline objects, omit specific fields when empty or obvious. This simplification enables faster configuration as well as a better readability for long term maintenance of the service.
- The introduction of “Decorator” for configuration objects, easily adding new behaviors to existing configured objects. OpenIG 3.1 provides 3 decorators out of the box: a CaptureDecorator that enables debugging and logging in a much easier and more dynamic way; a TimerDecorator that records times spent in the decorated objects; an AuditDecorator that allows to audit operations for any decorated objects.
- The support for a sample monitoring handler that provides basic statistics about the exchanges and routes. The monitoring information can be used to provide an activity dashboard such as here on the right..
- Some optimisations and performance improvements when using OpenID Connect and OAuth 2.0
For the complete details of the changes in OpenIG 3.1, please check the release notes.
You can download the ForgeRock product here. It’s been heavily tested by our Quality Assurance team : functional tests on Windows, Mac and Linux, stress tests as proxy, with OAuth2 and OpenID Connect, non-regression tests… The documentation has been entirely reviewed and all examples tested. The source code is available in our code repository (https://svn.forgerock.org/openig).